Saturday, November 17, 2012

Templates

This is a short post on how I make my templates for cutting pieces for quilting blocks. They are easily made, cheap, and durable. You can make them in almost any size you need and mark them however you would like.

Here is what I start out with. I get mine at the dollar store. My advice is to get them now before they get any smaller. The package I bought last week is almost 3/4" smaller all the way around than the last batch.
They are almost clear, which makes it easier to see a particular placement of a design on your fabric.

I have a large 7" square ruler and it was not cheap, although it works where I need it to. My ruler stash includes a 2" by 18" grid ruler, which is invaluable everywhere. But, sometimes I don't want to concentrate on the 1/2" mark when I'm cutting binding or I need something wider for a certain project, so I cut my own from a mat. The same goes for the square templates, as you can see below.





And I worked out a pattern for a 6 pointed star- almost on the same lines as a Dresden Plate.




So, there you have it- my cheap and easy way to make templates that will last a whole lot longer than heavy paper or cardboard.

A little tip for you: once you have made your marks with a permanent marker or pen, coat your markings with clear nail polish so they won't come off.


Simple Sewing at it's best!





2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, chopping mats! Now why didn't I think of that?! Thanks Kat, this is great. :)

    ReplyDelete